One of the great things about Joomla is the large number of free modules and plugins available for it (and some good commercial ones too). But sometimes the only way to get exactly what you want is to do it yourself.
So I'm a little proud of myself after creating my first simple module, although it draws on code from a number of different sources as I examined other people's modules to see how they worked.
It's called Social Bookmarks and you can see it to the top right of this article (under the heading share this post) if you are viewing the full article (if you can see the "read more" button below then you need to click on that to see the module - or click the headline).
The rest of this article is aimed at Joomla users coming here to download the module or check what it does:
A simple social bookmarking module with buttons for ten popular bookmarking/sharing services. It also includes a Facebook Like button and a text link for more than 300 other services using AddThis.
- Facebook (share link)
- Google Buzz
- Windows Live
- Yahoo Buzz
- Can be set to show on article pages only. This allows you to set the module to show in a section or category blog view menu item without having it to appear to readers until they view an article page within the section or category concerned.
- Text sent to Twitter can be appended, for example with your username or a hashtag.
- Option to send a TinyURL instead of the full URL in tweets.
- Facebook Like button currently uses "button count" layout only. Option for a standard layout may be added in future releases.
- Option to change Facebook Like button text from "like" to "recommend".
- Each button can be turned on or off in the back end.
- Minimal styling. Designed to fit in with existing template style with minimal fuss. Style can be altered easily using enclosed CSS file.